Sunday, December 9, 2007

Not all Mormon's are Utahns

I'm a 30 year old, single female. I've lived most of my life on the east coast. I just played a game a couple weeks ago at a party. I was the only Mormon - member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints there. We were playing catch phrase and someone had the clue "Utah" - so his answer was "Where do Mormon's live?" While I laugh at this, I thought I would write here to say that the fact is Utah is tied to Mormon history but there are more members of the LDS church outside of Utah and outside of the United States than inside Utah. Mormons are the 4th largest religion in the United States. For the most part, Mormons are pretty honest, hard-working people. You can find scum in any religion. If they happen to be Mormon, it seems like that is highlighted in the news when they commit a crime. If they were any other religion, it's usually forgotten. Do you know the religions of all the candidates running for President? Democrat or Republican? Even funnier, the candidates running like to seem religious - so they talk about their going to bible study when are you serious? I don't think Hillary is really religious. She's just following the formula of "have to be religious to get elected". Can we have true candidates - not hypocrits? But I digress.

Anyway, i just write this post to make the point that not all Mormons or members of the Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are Utahns. We do not all have relatives from Utah, do not have multiple wives, and don't all live there. One other point, I'm not writing this as an endorsement for Mitt Romney. To be honest, I haven't made my mind up yet on who I think would be a good president for the United States. One more side note, not all Mormons are Republicans. There are many who are Democrats too.

No comments: